EDM 310 Class Blog

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Blog Assignment # 5





Dr. Scott McLeod


In this post Dr. McLeod gave many reasons why children should not use the internet. The reasons he gave where sound and very true. For example he made the points of sexting and online predators. This is very dangerous to children and can be life threatening. He is very anti internet in the post. Which he makes very good points but I think some internet is needed. In my comment on his blog I gave the example of my grandfather's generation being very smart and not ever using the internet. But that generation did not depend on computers like we do today, to communicate and to do various jobs. I think some internet is needed, but it should be monitored. Before the post I did not know who Scott McLeod was. After researching I have learned he is one of the nation's leading expert on the technological k-12 issues. He is also is a professor at the University of Kentucky.

Travis Allen

 In these two videos Travis Allen changed my opinion on how students can learn in a classroom. He makes the point of how much it cost a student to learn in a public school. It cost as much as six hundred dollars. It cost this much because of the books, calculators, pencils and other supplies. He wants our classes to be taught with touch screen devices in a program called ischool. This device has text books, library books, calculators, notes, and maps on it. It also has many other useful tools on it. With this ischool, the school systems could save so much money. Students would also get the technology they need to survive in today's society. I also like the point of saving natural resources  by not using  paper and other classroom items. The students can also email, save lectures, and search educational websites. I used to think that we should not use technology as much, but now I see many advantages to it!


Jennifer Chamber

This was an amazing way to use the internet. 185 people who have never met did this! I couldn't believe it. I even made my fiance watch! Just think what used to take hours upon hours of practicing to do was accomplished by 185 people never meeting, but making a video and sharing it into one huge choir!


Teaching in the 21st Century

This video brings up many good questions for teachers. Questions like, " what do I do when my connecting flight is canceled", or " should I buy or rent", how can you as a teacher teach your students how to answer these two questions. Well the video gives one way with many options, the internet. A student could use Google to answer both of these questions.  This what Roberts thinks it means to teach in the 21 century. Using technology as problem solving skills, and to get information. He makes the point of the difference of entertainment and engagement. Theses devices such as the computer and cell phone are not just for pure entertainment anymore. The difference is engagement is a long term learning experience, entertainment is short lived. As a 21st century teacher, I need to use technology in my classroom, it will be very vital to my students' success.

2 comments:

  1. Courtney,

    You have a few grammar issues, be sure to proof read your post before publishing it! That will ensure that you have fixed the minor issues. Did you do the alt and title modifiers for your picture? Page 12 of the Project Instruction Manual explains how to do this.

    I do not think you got the sarcasm of Scott McLeod's blog post. His point in saying all that he did was to show educators how "close minded" their thinking is by saying just the statements they might say.

    I am glad you enjoyed the internet choir video and shared it with others! The first time I saw it, it gave me goosebumps to think that with technology and music, human beings can create such beautiful pieces of work. All virtually, nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please read my post I'm Scared and leave me a comment.

    You (and many other students) totally missed the meaning of Dr. McLeod's post. He was being sarcastic. Look at the closing lines: "...'cause I'm doing all of it with my kids

    can't wait to see who has a leg up in a decade or two

    can you?"

    In other words, keep your kids back. Mine will fly ahead of yours!

    ReplyDelete