EDM 310 Class Blog

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Blog assignment # 7







C4T Summary


This week the blog I was given to comment on was titled " 2 cents Worth" by David Warlick. This is a very cool blog to visit and read. The first post I read and commented on was called "A Video Game Idea". In the post David Warlick has free time with his daughter while she is in the hospital. After reading some blog post by Scott McLeod, and watching his daughter playing a video game he comes up with a new idea. His idea is to create a video game similar to the one his daughter was playing. The one his daughter was playing consisted of creating a restaurant and running it. His idea is to create a school and run it. I thought this was a very cool and unique idea. Think about it, a fun and new way for educators to learn more about how to be a professional. It could also have positive influences on children. The second post I commented on was titled " Steve Jobs- A Great Idea".  This post is very sad and also encouraging. David Warlick states what a great innovator and intelligent man Steve Jobs was. Steve Jobs for those who do not know, was a co-founder of Apple. In the post David also added a quote from President Obama; "   Steve was among the greatest of American innovators – brave enough to think differently, bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it. " David says if Obama truly believes what he said about Steve Jobs, he could be the right person to get teachers to say " that's a great idea"  instead of "that's the right answer".


Project # 10 PLN

For my PLN I chose to use Symbaloo. I really like this tool! It is very helpful. I like it because it is all my tools in one. For example I can access my Twitter, Facebook, Google Account, and much more. This is what my PLN consist of so far. Most of my people to help me are on my Twitter.



Randy Pausch's Last Lecture 

This is really an inspiring video. Watching this I did not even realize that an hour had passed by. I recommend this to everybody. This was the last lecture of Randy Pausch. He starts the lecture by exposing the "elephant" in the room. This elephant is that he has cancer and doctors have given him months to live. He goes over his childhood dreams, which he achieved. One childhood dream was to play in the NFL. He never got to play in the NFL, but learned life lessons from football. One lesson he shares is the concept of "head fake learning", or indirect learning. For example football, you learn how to play the sport, but you also learn teamwork, endurance, and integrity. Teacher's could use this technique to teach students. For example the lesson can be on money, and the students could play a game of monopoly, which is fun. The students think they are just having fun playing a board game without knowing they are learning about money. Another part of the lecture he says just have fun. He makes the point of how he is dying and is having fun. Teachers are role-models for every student. If the teacher isn't having fun teaching, why should the student have fun learning? Also help other people whenever you can. Randy says always put people first! Teachers should also show students gratitude, this will encourage students. Some other great advice he gives is, "don't complain just work harder", "be patience, no one is pure evil", "tell the truth, integrity" and "brick walls are there for a reason, they let us prove how badly we want things!"

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more when it comes to Dr. Pausch. He was such an inspiring person. I wish that I could have known him more before his passing. I loved his "head fake" lesson on how to teach as well. The real challenge with education is getting your students to have fun and learn at the same time. The brick wall quote I also mentioned in my blog. What a great line!! Awesome blog and keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have three projects/blog posts combined in one post. In the future, separate these assignments into separate posts. If you don't we mat think you did not do one or more of them.

    Pausch:

    A very moving and touching lecture. What did you learn from it that will affect your teaching?

    ReplyDelete