EDM 310 Class Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Blog assignment # 8




Dr. Miller


These are some amazing videos! Dr. Miller does an excellent job of explaining and teaching It is amazing to me how much technology we use today. It also is crazy how fast technology changes. Just to think when I started high school a few years ago we only had chalk boards. By the time I was a senior we used SMART Boards everyday! I agree with him that there needs to be a curriculum invented on how to use technology. I would have no idea on how to do some things such as the program he used to create the 3D plans of the building. If teachers could learn new technology and be able to teach it,  just imagine what students could do with it! There are so many cool ways teachers could use technology in the classroom. Teachers can use peer learning by letting groups make videos on a subject and presenting it. Instead of using a poster board like I had to do, students could make presentations on the web and contact professionals threw blogging for science or any kind of projects! I think technology is a great way for students to learn and be creative.






Blog Post 12 By Carly Pugh


This was a really great post. She took an assignment and turned it into much more. I never even knew that you could make your own play list on You Tube. The videos she chose were all inspiring to watch. I hope when it comes time for me to do this assignment I can be as creative as she was. She will be a great teacher! I think she accomplished the hopes of Dr. Miller for writing with  multi -media. She used videos to express her teaching philosophy and techniques. Great post to read and great videos to watch!



Chipper Series and EDM For Dummies

Both these videos were fun to watch. It was cool to see other EDM students talking about the class. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who has mental break downs every week over this class. I'm glad to see I am not alone. It has gotten a lot better for me since I started doing my work all week, not just on Sundays! If I could choose a way to do a video, I would make one like the popular TV show " I Survived". This is a show were people have gone through some very horrific things and almost died. A person gives an interview, or account of all the events that happened that they almost died from.  Not that I've almost died or even close to it, honestly it just sounds like a good title for a video about this class.  I think the message of these videos is that it may seem hard at first, but if you do your work you will make it!

Learn to Change, Change to Learn

Another great video! It blows my mind that coal mining was ranked higher than education! The video talks about how students now learn more outside the classroom than in school. If you think about it some technology is banned from school but those same things that are banned are the most powerful learning tools. Such as cell phones and laptops. One of the people in the video made the comment that" Technology really isn't a choice". This is a powerful statement to me, because it is true. If teachers aren't going to prepare the students for the future, which is technology, who is? Why would we as teachers not want to instill in our students the information and skills  to make it the world , isn't that why people become teachers?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney! I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I agree that this class can be very trying sometimes, but I'm glad you've found a way to better manage the work load and stay on schedule. You made an excellent point about how teachers need to be more accepting of technology to enhance their classrooms. it is very important to provide students with resources that will enable them to succeed and learn with optimum efficiency as well as have fun. I hope you are one of these teachers in the future and I believe that you will be. I think you left out the word "in" in your last sentence right before "the world," but that was the only typo I noticed. Once again great job on the post and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,

    I am glad to see that you are having a good time in EDM310 so far - I agree that it is rewarding to see movies we create used in future classroom demonstrations! Making these videos, and using them as examples in the classroom is exactly what the idea of a 21st century classroom entails - active, involved, hands-on learning!

    Thanks,

    Rebekah Lloyd

    ReplyDelete